Monday

Write. Writer. Writes

As I've mentioned, my purpose in creating this space is to write, though I'm not certain what my ultimate plan is. Get published? I've no idea how or where to begin.

Since 4th grade I've been told that I should write. What the hell is that supposed to mean? Write what? Where? Do what with the result?

In college, a professor disgusted with the fact that I'd turned a paper in for his class that I'd turned in for another in a previous semester, lectured me quite thoroughly. He went on for a good half hour about my "talent" and how he could see me as a published writer someday. Write what? Published where? I was too embarassed to ask.

My problem is that I'm too lazy to study structure. Rules. Grammar. I feel as if it would get in the way of writing from the heart if I have to concentrate on constructing proper sentences. On the other hand, I see the benefit. If you can't get out of what I've strung together, the meaning or timbre I've tried to inject into it, well what's the point?

This entire topic is not one I'd file under "Interesting Blog Posts", that's for sure.

What's it take to be a published writer? Fiction or Non? Short story or Novel? Magazine article?

I should consider using spellcheck.

I use too many commas.

Feck it. I'll just continue down this blog road. See where it takes me.

2 comments:

Lord of the Barnyard said...

you should write words down till they become like sentences.
and then you should write a story that involves a small girl who is lost and her big hairy bear of a gay uncle who likes to walk around in skirts.
leave this in a well trafficed gutter.

now that you've got some direction, get to it.

T.A.N. said...

if you have, or think you have, interesting ideas you should write. it's jsut basic expression and communication. i'm of the mindset that maybe everyone should have a blog just as a personal transcript/record.

as for grammar and structure, in the world of bookd deals and bylines, that's what editors are for. blogs can provide opportunity, even beyond the medium itself, I can vouch for that.